Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Is THAT Me?!

Yipes...

So, I put together a really good band for a local theater gig we play every year in August. This time, rather than forcing people to listen to me playing all the lead guitar, I decided to make them listen to me sing instead...

I got four real, live professional musicians to join us, too - Lefty Brandon on drums, Bob Hunt on Bass, Joe Spence on Lead Guitar, and Harris Kirby on Mandolin. Those guys are the bomb - Always on time, always tasty, never break a sweat... Then there was me playing rhythm guitar, some very able background singers, and Bob Francis on keyboards - Actually, Bob's a real musician, too, so really that kinda only leaves me in the hack ranks, truth be told...

Anyway, a friend came and videotaped us last Friday night. I watched it last night with Monica.

Arghhh... I was horrible for the first couple of songs, though I will say it got better later. By the last cut, J. J. Cale's Same Old Blues, we were actually pretty locked in the pocket. I even had a decent guitar solo therein, although the close ups of me doing the guitar face were kinda scary - I wouldn't show it to small children, or adult friends who weren't well liquored up, for that matter... Why didn't somebody tell me I have three chins and bug eyes!?

The bummer is that Saturday night's set was much better, all around - There was a house photographer and videographer, so I'm hoping I can snag a copy of that before I have to fess up to the disk I already have...

Dang Friday night sets are always the worst, anyway... Oh, and I'm fat too, even with a guitar hiding the middle of me.

Yeah, I heard the news, it's the same old blues again....

No comments: