Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I Can See Clearly Now The Rain Is Gone

Wow…

We went to bed before the results came in, as much excited as maybe still a wee bit scared. About 2 am, it got the better of us and we opened up Monica’s laptop in bed and had a look, and…

We smoked ‘em!
Oh my Lord say your prayers or thanks or sighs of relief, leaps of joy whatever you got let it fly!

I almost can’t believe it. I heard an NPR interview with a 109 year old black woman, daughter of an emancipated slaves saying, “It’s a blessing, it’s a miracle…” Indeed it is my dear, and I am so thrilled you were alive to see it, let alone me. I wish Obama’s Gramma could have lasted another day, but I am sure she’s swinging her legs on the edge of a cloud and grinning from ear to ear as I am today.

Rosa sat so that Martin could walk; Martin walked so Obama could run; Obama is running so that our children can fly.
I am told a black, 19 year old single mother texted this to a friend; whoever said it, it is prophetic and touching.

And how about McCain’s gracious and poignant concession speech? Thank God he wasn’t so heartfelt throughout the campaign or he might just have won! I kid, I kid because I love… In any case, his request for all Americans to join him in pulling together with our new President-elect, was, to my ear, sincere and the perfect thing to say.

Obama's acceptance speech, strong and equally gracious, credited the work of many for his success. He noted, gravely and honestly, that the work that lies ahead is arduous; “The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even in one term. But, America, I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you, we as a people will get there.”

I believe you, Sir. I believe in you and that’s why I voted for you. Your voice is a comfort to me, as is your strength and your resolve. May God protect you and yours and keep you safe always, so that these qualities, your energy and drive, may go to work on our behalf.

I can see clearly now the rain is gone. I can see all obstacles in my way. Gone are the dark clouds that had me down, gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day.

Gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day.

No comments: