Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Pump You Up

So, here it is a few weeks later, and I've been pretty religious about using the gym...

Talked with the Resident Fitness Expert, decided on a program balance and off I went.

I go a minimum of 3 times a week, and a max of 5. This is the end of my 3rd week now...

So, does it do anything?
Yep, it does!

I don't look any different, (At least I don't think I do...), but I've lost 10 pounds, so about 3+ pounds a week, down to 228, with 28 pounds to go...

I basically just stretch for about 5 minutes, then I hit something cardio/aerobic for 30 minutes, either a bike, treadmill, stair climber, or ski machine, then it's crunch time. I'm doing 3 sets of 15 on a machine with 50 pounds on it, then 3 sets of 15 on a Pilates ball - Those are the ones that really get ya, because you can counter-stretch as far as you can on the ball... So, that's 90 crunches a day now, I'll get up to 120 and keep it there, just adding weight on the machine and isolating more on the ball, maybe add some obliques to attack the old love handles.

Finally, I'm using the weight machiens to do some general toning - I don't need to add muscle or bulk of any kind, so it's light reps and lots of them, focusing on back, legs, and chest - Every one of those has arms involved and so there's no need to do focused work on them - Biceps are for the beach, not for strength...

It's weird for me to be paying so much attention to the bod - I am not generally a hedonistic person, and I never had to really mess with it before... It's also weird realizing how easily I'd segued into a very sedentary lifestyle. So they say it takes 45 days to make something a habit, but I find I already miss the gym when I don't go - It feels really good to work my bod again, to sweat, stretch and be physically sore afterwards. I'm thinking that re-toning will lead to more hockey playing, and that's a good thing.

So onward and upward - I'm gonna hit 200 and better body fat ratio, and stay there. I already feel better, it can only get better yet from here...

No comments: